The world is increasingly pacing towards smartphones in android and iOS platforms and now with the inbuilt GPS there are some very useful car apps making this navigation system reach greater heights and make you know how your vehicle performs and it tracks your distances.
Here is a list of some of the best apps regarding gaining stats for any vehicle utilizing the use of GPS/navigation system and other utilities to enhance your motoring life.With the advent of using smartphones, people are using various content through these and various other smart apps.Be it Whatsapp or Google Maps, there are apps of almost any kind that updates you with your interest and in any kind of niche.
If you are a car enthusiast or even just a car owner, you would love using these ios and android based car apps to get critical information about your vehicle maintenance,running,output factor which are user-friendly and easy to use interface.
There are many apps in the app world with navigation, travelling, but if you want some serious image recognition techniques and enhanced reality to help you navigate, learn your surroundings and more , check out Top 20 Augmented Reality Apps which include many interesting and useful apps like augmented car finder, iOnRoad Augmented Driving, 3D Compass+, SpotCrime and more.
Navigation using apps may use your in-built GPS-system to work out the details you wanna know and definitely not a big drain to your phone’s battery.As iPhone and android smartphones get more sophisticated and advanced in features, upcoming apps may get more detailing satisfying even more of the demands through updates.
List of Top 10 Car Apps for Android and iOS
FuelLog helps to keep track of your fuel consumption time to time, cost and maintenance.It gives you detailed info on your fill up, mileage,running costs, and servicing.All you need to do is to enter some details like model cost apart from few more specific inputs.It calculates useful stats regarding economy(eg. mpg or l/100km or kmpl) of your vehicle,average cost per distance or gas amount,average cost per month,year and driven distances,expenses and a lot more.
Track all kinds of costs and maintenances/services like for eg. monthly insurance,daily bridge toll,yearly taxes,car parts,parking costs,oil or tyre changes (limited to 15 entries in the free version).
It supports multiple cars and is usable in every country as it converts km/miles, litres/gallons(US)/gallons(UK) defined individually per vehicle and every known currency.
- Tracking fill-ups
- Tracking maintenances, services, costs, expenses
- Multiple vehicles supported
- 6 different graphs
- Units per vehicle
- Total Odometer reading or trip mileage input
Supported Android versions:
1.6 with no graphs
Torque is a performance diagnostic tool that communicates with your engine and the ECU via a bluetooth adapter.It gives you detailed notifications by stats about your car’s performance.It also provides real-time GPS tracking of the engine logs, so you can always go back in time and check out what you were doing at any particular time.
- Measures vehicle’s BHP and torque
- Clear car OBD DTC faults
- Live data for your car
- You can view data on Google Earth by sending map/track log files
- Get sensor data and more
- Uses cheap bluetooth ELM / OBD adapter to connect to your car OBD2 engine management system.
- Head-up-display/GPS Hud mode for checking speed at night
- Works on vehicles made by Ford, GM/Vauxhall/Opel, Chrysler, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, Jaguar, Citroen, Peugoet, Skoda, Kia, Mazda, Lexus, Daewoo, Renault, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, BMW, Toyota, Seat, Dodge, Jeep, Pontiac, Subaru and many more vehicle makes, European, US, Far East, etc. Some vehicle ECUs may support more/fewer features than others.
3. Car Locator
As the name goes, it’s a straightforward app that automatically saves the location of your parked car.It might help you to find your vehicle fast.It supports a radar-type view that shows your car as a red dot over the map.The app showcases parking timer, saves notes and photos, and the option to beam your current location to another person via phone or email.
- Location history
- View current car coordinates
- Driving directions
- Sonar Sound
- Radar Visualizations
An advanced speedometer application by accessing your phone’s in-built GPS and displays useful information.On the main screen you’ll find brief information like your maximum and average speed, the direction you are going into, total distance travelled, the time it will take to reach your destination.
- Linear Compass showing your current direction of travel.
- Speed Warning: You can set speed limits for your car on three different types of roads which will notify you as visual/sound alert whenever you cross that limits.
- Very high accuracy with GPS-based speedometer, better than your original car speedometer.
5. Google Maps Street View
Image Source: Trondheim Byarkiv
It gives you the best navigation with the street view option in the Google Maps to check any area and its surroundings from any angle at 360-degree view.It compliments the popular GPS-based map with a 3D view of the area.See popular landmarks, check out places you wish to visit nearby or at miles away distances.
Know the way where to go and how to get there with this daily personal navigator using free voice-guided navigation, a special feature of Scout for iphone and android users.Luckily, you can get every update on navigation tracks, destinations in your car or anywhere with your smartphone.
- Voice Turn-by-Turn directions-Take your route and get spoken turn-by-turn directions without facing your device while driving.
- See real-time traffic
- Use search to quickly find coffee, restaurants and the cheapest gas stations nearby.
- Car Connect: Connect to Ford sync applink to hear voice-guided directions in your car display and hear them over your speakers.
If you don’t have a car with anti-collision features, but you have an android smartphone, check out ionroad. This app uses the camera of your device and senses the traffic ahead.It monitors your headway distance and warns of traffic hazards, such as when you are too close to a car or cars in front of you switch lanes.
- Improves driving in real-traffic.
- As the vehicle approaches danger, an audio-visual warning pops up to alert.
- It also features car locator/finder, automatically detects if you are parked and captures a snapshot of your parking spot. Later it will guide you to the parked spot with the GPS and the captured snap may help you more.
Using this accelerometer, gmeter tells how many g’s are acting on you now, interesting to find it in places on airplane, carousels or minibus.It automatically detects and records speed, distance travelled, and the engine power.It can measure how quickly your vehicle stops.It makes you edit the numbers depending on the type of climate you’re testing in or any losses made to aerodynamic and mechanical drag.
May require Adobe Air.
9. Traffic Fines India
Only a few people know exactly how much fine to pay for a particular offence as per the rule book.This app has an updated information about various traffic fines and offences associated with them.It also updates you with the relevant sections of Motor Vehicle Act for various traffic rule violations.It can be used even offline.
- You can’t be overcharged.
- Info available for Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai & Pune.
- Can access it Offline, with no internet or 3G required.
Automobile Magazine News ensures you to get all the automobile news straight off your phone.This app collects most relevant and best news from automobile world.You have the option to view the latest videos and articles, browse pictures and read the subscribed feeds.It’s a must having app for car enthusiasts.
- Get the knowledge of history, engineering and general business of cars.
- Share pictures, videos and more with friends via email.